A few months ago, I introduced the Lutok project, a simple C++ API for Lua. To recap: the major goal of this API, which does not mimic the Lua C API bit by bit, is to enforce correct coding practices on the client side. This is done by (ab)using the RAII programming pattern to automatically free resources when not needed and to ensure that the Lua stack is correctly managed. The library also adheres to common C++ programming idioms and exposes exceptions for error management and uses the pimpl idiom to completely hide the Lua C API from clients of Lutok (unless you use the c_gate backdoor!).
Today, I am pleased to announce that the first formal release of Lutok, obviously named 0.1, is available for download! You can obtain this release by visiting the lutok-0.1.tar.gz download page.
Also, in preparation for this release, I have spent the weekend writing some little example programs to demonstrate the usage of Lutok, and also some installation instructions.
Hope you find this release useful and please do send me any comments you may have!
Hint: Yes, releasing Lutok 0.1 was a prerequisite for Kyua 0.3. So stay tuned ;-)
Monday, January 23, 2012
- Released ATF 0.15 and imported it into NetBSD.
- Added support for integer/float printf-like modifiers to the utils::format module. These will be required to beautify size and time quantities in the reports and error messages.
- I spent way more time than I wanted on this. At first, I attempted to use std::snprintf to parse and process the format modifiers for integers and floats so that I could avoid implementing a custom parser for them. While this sounds like a cool idea (yay, code reuse!), it resulted in a ugly, nasty and horrible mess. In the end, I just ended up implementing custom parsing of the formatters, which was way easier and "good enough" for Kyua's needs.
- Started work on backporting ATF's new require.memory property into Kyua. This needs having a way to parse and format byte quantities in user-friendly forms (e.g. 1k, 2m, etc.)... hence the previous work on utils::format!
- Set up a Google+ Page for Kyua. I have no idea what to use it for yet. Maybe the status reports should go in there. Ideas?
Sunday, January 15, 2012
Finally some progress!
- Backported the require.memory changes in NetBSD to the ATF upstream code, and extended them to support OS X as well.
- Backported local pkgsrc patches to ATF into the upstream code.
- Started to prepare ATF 0.15 by doing test runs of NetBSD/i386 and NetBSD/amd64 and by building the code in various Linux distributions. Several build bugs fixed along the way.
- Spent a long while trying to figure out how the Fedora package maintainer procedure has changed since 3 years ago to create packages for ATF, Lutok and Kyua. Not very successful yet unfortunately.
Nothing on the Kyua front, but getting a new release of ATF out of the door has higher priority now!
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
It's that time of the week again (although delayed by over a day). Unfortunately, no progress either during past week. Being on semi-vacations doesn't leave much "free time"... However, I traveled back home yesterday and getting back to my daily routine should give some spare time!